Question: Obtaining Compost & Mulch Material with Concerns for Persistent Herbicides.
– Herbicides should breakdown in properly decomposed compost
– Compost needs to be very good, and the tea well oxygenate before use.
– Growing your own mulch requires about 60% of cultivated land
Mulch crops can be productive—corn, fava beans—but it limits the crop choices.
– Use small amount of compost just around seeds/seedling and use a cover crop.
– Companion Planting: Successful Gardening in an Organic Way by Gertrude Franck.